This is a GREAT, much more cost-effective alternative to the “natural” bug repellents out on the market today. I’ll be making us some before we head up North at the end of the summer!
- 15 drops Lavender essential oil
- 3-4 Tablespoons Homemade Vanilla Extract (see recipe below)
- 4-5 Tablespoons Lemon juice
- Mix all of the above ingredients in a spray bottle and fill the rest up with water.
- Spray away!
Homemade Vanilla Extract
- Vanilla Beans (can buy really cheap at Amazon.com)
- Bottle of Vodka, Brandy or any other liquor you prefer
- Cut vanilla beans lengthwise. We use 14 beans for vodka (750mL) and 8 beams for brandy (375mL).
- Pour a little liquor into a measuring cup so it doesn’t overflow when you add the beans into the bottle.
- Pour as much of the liquor back into the bottle.
- Let it sit in the cabinet for at least 2 months or until it smells like vanilla extract and the liquor has turned dark.