Inflammation is continuing to be linked to the root cause of several medical conditions and diseases. Inflammation plays a key role in causing diabetes, heart disease, allergies, joint pain, cancer and many more. Obviously then we want to reduce inflammation levels in our body in order to decrease our risk of developing any of these conditions or diseases. Thankfully, you do not need to live on anti-inflammatory drugs or other supplements. Include the following five foods in your daily routine and you’ll reduce inflammation naturally.
- Oats – Oats and other whole grains like quinoa and whole grain breads contain important nutrients that reduce inflammation. They also contain a large amount of fiber, which aids in stabilizing blood sugar thus reducing an inflammatory reaction. Try to consume at least 25 grams of fiber per day and 3 to 5 servings of whole grains every day.
- Salmon – The omega-3 fatty acids found in salmon help reduce production of inflammatory proteins. A diet high in omega-3’s can reduce inflammation as much as aspirin and some other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs without the negative side effects. Americans consume too many omega-6 fatty acids found in other protein sources and fats like sunflower oil. This can lead to promotion of inflammation in the body. Try to consume 2 to 3 servings of fresh or frozen wild or canned sockeye salmon. If you do not like salmon, walnuts, flaxseed and enriched eggs are also a good source of omega-3 fatty acids.
- Beans – Try to have one meatless day per week to help prevent the omega-6 fatty acid imbalance. Beans are also high in fiber, which will continue to help stabilize blood sugar levels thus reducing an inflammatory reaction.
- Berries – Berries are high in vitamins A and C, which are antioxidants that protect against damage that causes inflammation. Antioxidants are found in numerous fruits and vegetables. Try to consume 5 to 9 servings of a variety of fruits and vegetables each day.
- Green Tea – Adding green tea to your daily routine will help load up your diet with those powerful antioxidants. Green tea contains high levels of EGCG, a powerful antioxidant, which has been shown to be particularly effective in reducing inflammation. Try to consume 3 to 4 cups of freshly brewed green tea every day.
Incorporating these foods into your everyday diet will not only improve the overall health of your diet but will also help to reduce inflammation levels in your body, thus helping reduce your risk for developing several medical conditions and diseases.